I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect foundation that gives my skin a natural, flawless looking glow. I want perfection but in the most subtle way. So when I saw so many positive reviews on the Too Faced Born This Way foundation I decided perhaps this would be the one for me.
Before I went cruelty free I had a few great drugstore foundations that were keeping me happy, but I can no longer support these brands. But that’s OK, I don’t miss them at all now that I have the Born This Way foundation.
Here is my honest opinion on why I love this guy:
- This is a medium to full coverage foundation that builds easily to create the desired level of coverage, whilst at the same time remaining natural looking on the skin. It claims to be undetectable but this is a preeeeeetty big claim and I certainly don’t think that it is undetectable. Natural yes, undetectable no.
- It is oil free yet creates a luminous, dewy finish without looking greasy. I always get compliments on how glowing my skin looks when wearing this foundation.
- The revolutionary formula is infused with a potent combination of coconut water to naturally replenish moisture levels, which is great for those who suffer from dry to combination skin (me).
- It also contains alpine rose to brighten the skin’s appearance and promote elasticity and hyaluronic acid for a smoother, more youthful appearance. However, the quantities are quite low so I’m not expecting much from this.
- The packaging is gorgeous. It comes in a gorgeous glass bottle with a pump (the best possible option for foundation IMO). And the gold detailing adds a touch of luxury…
- It is paraben, sulfate and phthalates free.
- It has a pretty decent colour selection with 18 shades in the collection. The shade that I wear when I’m not self tanned is Nude. You can see this shade in the pics below.
- It does not sink into pores or exaggerate fine lines and wrinkles, especially if applied after a primer and set with powder.
- It wears really well throughout the day for me, only requiring blotting in my normal oily t-zone.
- Whilst it is not drugstore affordable, it is certainly more affordable than other high end brands at $58AUD for 30mL.
- Too Faced is cruelty free (however it has since been acquired by Estee Lauder).
*In the following ‘BEFORE’ images my skin is primed with moisturiser and the Too Faced Hangover Primer. The ‘AFTER’ shots are of my skin with ONLY the foundation applied. I applied 2 pumps and blended it in with my Real Techniques beauty sponge. There are no filters on any of these images.
Some hot tips for this foundation:
- Personally I find it best applied with a beauty blender for a more flawless, airbrushed finish. Dot the foundation onto the face and blend out with dabbing motions using a beauty sponge.
- It will last longer and apply better on top of a primer.
- It will last longer and resist splitting if set lightly with powder in areas that are prone to oiliness.
- Works best for dry to combination skin, although there has been many positive reviews for people who have oily and acne prone skin.
- It can be used as tinted moisturiser by blending 1 pump of Born This Way with 1-2 pumps of Hangover Primer and smoothed over the skin. I’ve also mixed it in with some of my BB creams for a more full coverage tinted moisturiser.
- For additional luminosity and glow, mix a half pump of liquid illuminator in with the foundation before applying. I personally love the Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illumizer.
If you head to your local Mecca Cosmetica or Mecca Maxima, ask for assistance with colour matching and take home a couple of sample shades to try before you buy!